What are the Different Types of Dental Fillings?
Dental fillings are used to restore teeth that have been damaged by decay, cracks, or fractures. There are several types of dental fillings, each with their own unique benefits.
Here are the most common types of dental fillings:
- Amalgam Fillings: Amalgam fillings are made from a mixture of metals, including mercury, silver, tin, and copper. They have been used for over a century and are known for their durability and strength. Amalgam fillings are a cost-effective option, but their silver color can be noticeable in the mouth.
- Composite Fillings: Composite fillings are made from a mixture of plastic and glass. They are tooth-colored and blend in with the surrounding teeth, making them a popular choice for filling cavities in visible areas of the mouth. Composite fillings are less durable than amalgam fillings, but they are still strong and long-lasting.
- Ceramic Fillings: Ceramic fillings, also known as porcelain fillings, are made from a type of dental ceramic that closely matches the color and texture of natural teeth. They are highly durable and long-lasting, making them an excellent choice for restoring teeth in highly visible areas of the mouth.
- Gold Fillings: Gold fillings are made from a mixture of gold and other metals. They are highly durable and long-lasting, but they are also the most expensive type of filling. Gold fillings are usually reserved for restoring teeth in the back of the mouth, where they are less noticeable.
What are the Benefits of Dental Fillings?
Dental fillings offer several benefits, including:
- Restoring the function of damaged teeth
- Preventing further decay and damage to the tooth
- Improving the appearance of the tooth
- Preventing tooth loss
- Restoring the ability to chew and speak properly
Why Choose Hon Van Cao, DDS for Dental Fillings?
At Hon Van Cao, DDS, we understand the importance of preserving and restoring your natural teeth. That’s why we offer a wide range of dental filling options to suit your needs and preferences. Our team of experienced dentists will work with you to determine the best type of filling for your individual needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dental Fillings
How long do dental fillings last?
The lifespan of a dental filling depends on several factors, including the type of filling, the location of the filling, and your oral hygiene habits. On average, dental fillings can last anywhere from 5 to 15 years.
Are dental fillings painful?
The process of getting a dental filling is generally not painful, as local anesthesia is used to numb the area. After the procedure, you may experience some sensitivity or discomfort, but this should subside within a few days.
Can I eat and drink normally after getting a dental filling?
Yes, you can resume your normal diet and activities after getting a dental filling. However, it’s best to avoid hard, sticky, or chewy foods for the first few days after the procedure.
How much do dental fillings cost?
The cost of a dental filling depends on the type of filling, the size of the filling, and your dental insurance coverage. At Hon Van Cao, DDS, we offer competitive pricing and accept most dental insurance plans.